Friday, June 25

The Dentist: Why this could be the title of a horror film

I don't much like going to the dentist. 

Intellectually, I understand that it's important to get my teeth cleaned regularly.  I know that I need to have them checked out by a professional, especially since my teeth are so messed up.  But I still don't like it.

This irrational dislike of dentists probably goes back to when I was a kid.  You see, I didn't really lose my first tooth.  My permanent teeth were coming in weird, so I had to have two teeth pulled.  My recollection is that they were the first two teeth that I 'lost,' although that could be inaccurate.  One way or another, early on in my life, I had to have teeth pulled.  And it wasn't just those two, either.  I ended up having to have several teeth pulled.  Thus began my turbulent relationship with dentists.

Now, the reason this could be a horror film.  My younger brother was also having problems with permanent teeth coming in weird, and he'd been to the orthodontist who said that he had to have two teeth on the bottom pulled.  So he goes to the dentist, who proceeds to pull those two teeth, as well as two more on the top.  Apparently, this dentist just liked to pull teeth.....  Now, imagine if such a dentist were to go clinically insane, and start kidnapping people just so he can pull their teeth out?  That's a horror movie that I would never see, if only because dentists are scary enough to me as it is.

The great irony in all of this is that I had a great orthodontist, and I didn't mind going there at all.  I still haven't figured that one out.

Anyway, I went to the dentist on Tuesday and I can now check off another task on my 101 list.  And, like I said, my mouth is pretty messed up.  I'll eventually have to get around to talking about my 10 missing permanent teeth and the surgeries to have them replaced.  But that's a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment