Friday, July 16

Lavender 5K Results

Well, so much for finishing this up on Tuesday.  Oh well, here's the race recap.

As you probably know, last Saturday morning I ran a 5K as one of the goals on my 101 list.  I went with a few friends in my ward.  We had to get up way early, since the race started at 7, and it was down in Mona, like 40 minutes south of Provo.  We got there a few minutes early, so we just headed to the start and talked for a bit while waiting.  The race was delayed for a few minutes due to some technical difficulties with the timing system, so we started about quarter after 7.  

Let me back up a bit.  Over the past few weeks I'd been training for the race, but in that time, the longest I'd ever run in one go was two miles.  A 5K is just over three miles, so I'd never run that distance before.

Ok, back to the race.  I started out in the middle of the pack, not too fast, not too slow.  Once I got going, most of the people around me were running/jogging slower than I was, so I started to pass people.  The first half of the race was mostly at a slight uphill slant.  It was a fairly flat course, but over the distance, you can feel even the slight grade.  Anyway, we get to the halfway point and I've run the whole distance so far.  I start on the downhill from there, and I'm thinking to myself, 'I can do this.  I'm going to run the whole race!'  I was doing alright until there was one more stretch that was a slight uphill grade.  I walked for maybe 2 minutes or so there, just to catch my breath, and then I ran the rest of the way.  I even somehow had enough energy there at the end to kick it up a notch and run through the finish.  (I don't want to call it a sprint per-say, since I probably still wasn't going that fast, but still....)  Also, funny side note, I almost tripped right after crossing the finish line, since there was a bump in the pavement.

At the finish, they had fruit, muffins, and most importantly, water for the runners, so we ate while waiting for the times to be posted.  I ended up with a finish time of 29:10, which apparently is pretty darn good for my first 5K ever.  I'm planning on running another one in September with the same friends that I ran this one with.  Hopefully I can do more training and end up getting a better time.

Anyway, that was the Lavender 5K.  It was fun, and I'm glad I did it.  I don't think I'm going to start running every day just for the heck of it, but it was definitely a good experience.  And, one more thing checked off my 101 list.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment